People like to hire people who seem to have their sh*t together. You know, the kind of people who look like they own a clothing steamer and eat quinoa regularly.
If that’s not you, here are some easy things you can do to pretend you’re not a mess:
1. Carry around a business book. You’ll look super invested in your professional development. I’m currently reading The Inner Lives of Markets, which I originally only put in my Indigo cart to bump me to free shipping.
2. Say “I have to check my calendar”. This implies that you actually take time to organize your life. Who cares that the only event you’ve written down is “getting wine drunk with the girls”?
3. Wear a peacoat. Is it actually a warm winter option? Heck nah. Is it waterproof? Absolutely not. But for some reason it makes you look put together despite the fact you might experience hypothermia!
4. Say the phrase “coffee chat” as much as possible.
5. Meal prep–or at least pretend you meal prep. Throw your Lean Cuisine into a Tupperware before you run out the door and act like you cooked it when you heat it up later. Or, just do like this guy:
6. Wear glasses. My mom says my glasses make me look like I *could be* smart.
I guess I wish I could wake up as a fully functioning adult who regularly irons her shirts. However, I’m a little relieved because every “adult” I’ve talked to claims they don’t really have a clue what they’re doing either. We’re all just faking it until we make it.
And that’s okay.
Comment something you do to seem like you’re put together!
Coming up next: DM me on LinkedIn